Wow! I know you have become excited to see such news. Yes, Apple announced about latest iOS 8.1.1 update for iPhone 4S and iPad Mini 2 devices. iOS 8 was used in iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus for the first time. Now iPhone 4S and iPad Mini 2 are also eligible to get iOS 8.1.1. I have already installed iOS 8.1.1 in my iPhone 4S. It looks pretty beautiful. Now, there is almost no differences between iPhone 6 and my old iPhone 4S! I have decided to share my experience. Today I’m going to discuss the updating process, cautions and procedures, etc.
iPhone & iPad Devices that are eligible to get iOS 8.1.1 update
- iPad Air 2 (6th generation WiF)
- iPad Air 2 (6th generation Cellular)
- iPad Air (5th generation WiFi + Cellular)
- iPad Air (5th generation WiFi)
- iPad Air (5th generation CDMA)
- iPad (4th generation CDMA)
- iPad (4th generation GSM)
- iPad (4th generation WiFi)
- iPad mini (CDMA)
- iPad mini (GSM)
- iPad mini (WiFi)
- iPad mini 2 (WiFi + Cellular)
- iPad mini 2 (WiFi)
- iPad mini 2 (CDMA)
- iPad mini 3 (China)
- iPad mini 3 (WiFi)
- iPad mini 3 (Cellular)
- iPad 3 Wi-Fi (3rd generation)
- iPad 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular (GSM)
- iPad 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular (CDMA)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi (Rev A)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (GSM)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (CDMA)
- iPhone 5 (CDMA)
- iPhone 5 (GSM)
- iPhone 5c (CDMA)
- iPhone 5c (GSM)
- iPhone 5s (CDMA)
- iPhone 5s (GSM)
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 4s
- iPod touch (5th generation)
Pros and Cons of updating iPhone to iOS 8
At first you should be informed that many iPhone users have argued that new version couldn’t fix several bugs of its previous versions. Many have said that new version made their device slower. I personally experienced that my device has become little slower. Many applications take time to open or react. My device has lost its flexibility. Well! These are disadvantages. But I am ready to ignore those problems. Above all, I loved new features of iOS 8.1.1. My device earlier couldn’t install custom keyboard, e.g., Ridmik Keyboard, cross platform sharing application, e.g., Share it! I loved Its interface, icons, fonts, settings, many more features, etc. To get something like that, I would love to sacrifice my ‘flexibility’. Let’s start the procedure.
Requirements : Before start updating iPhone 4S
- Your device must have at least 5.5 GB space. But it depends on several matters. If you previously updated once or twice, you might not need to have such big space. But if you haven’t updated your device ever, then you need to have at least 5.5 GB space in your iPhone 4S.
- Internet connection. I suggest you to use unlimited internet package or public/unlimited wifi. But it also depends on several things. If you haven’t updated your device ever, then you have to download a 1.4 GB (almost 1.7 GB) file. So, be careful!
- MAKE SURE that your device has enough battery-power. You can only proceed further if you connect your device with a power source.
Procedure to Start Updating your iPhone 4S
After you have met every requirement that I mentioned above, your device should start automatic updating. But you can start it manually. Follow below instructions to start updating iPhone 4S.
- Open your iPhone 4S.
- Now go to Settings >> General >> Software Update
- Your device will now check if there is any update available for your device. I think you’ll find that it will have started downloading new OS.
- If not, then you can also start it manually. Just press Download and Install.
- Now, you have nothing to do but wait. It will be updating itself. You only need to keep your device connected with power source or charger, internet connection.
- It may take almost 1 hour to complete the whole procedure. But it may vary.
- After completing updating, your device will ask you to proceed. You should ‘Agree’ terms and policy, keep giving permission by pressing ‘yes’ and providing Apple ID password, device password where it’s necessary.
- Once it will complete everything, it should restart. Then it will start installing the OS. You’ll see the progress bar. Then it will ask Apple ID or password, more permissions, e.g., whether you’ll use iCloud, Find My Phone, etc, in several steps. Follow those steps. And you’re done!